Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Monster in the Closet

I have a monster in my closet

It is a disgusting creature
large and foreboding yet frail and lanky
It is forested from top to bottom in thick thorny red fur
which excretes a rotten tar-like oil
Its feet are stolen from some poor mutilated goat
Its tail hard and leathery is spiked and bejeweled
with tarnished gold and amethyst
Its eyes, black as the moon's shadow, have a sadistic glow of scorn
Its snout a boarish unceasing grin

I try to fight it
scare it
ignore it
but always just stands there
demanding it's presence

Its afraid of others
It slinks back and hides if you draw near
But I know its there
waiting watching plotting

I lie awake at night with tear stained eyes and hands upon my ears
listening as it scratches upon the door
with chewed up and molded nails
It teeth clash as it speak
dripping odorous venom from its broken lips

It is a demon I'm sure
sent from Hell to destroy me
and I fear...

It is succeeding




1 comment:

  1. There's power in these words. This feels like a poem from a classical writer, and that's super cool.

    ReplyDelete